Tesco - First Announcement

17 - 65 East Barnet Road

On 23rd January 2008, in a hand delivered letter to residents, Tesco announced plans for a large mixed use scheme in New Barnet. According to the letter, the development would include:

"a new public square, Tesco store, housing, new shops, community facilities and road improvements"

Local residents had long been expecting plans from Asda who it was believed were interested in the large gas works site in Albert Road. There was initially some confusion as many assumed that Tesco were also looking at the gas works site as the letter inviting residents to a 'workshop' was rather vague about the location.

Public Consultation

Tesco held a 'workshop' / 'public consultation' / 'public exhibition' to seek the views of local residents on their planned development.

Venue: LA Fitness, 18 East Barnet Road, Barnet, EN4 8RW

  • Thursday 31st January 2008 - 2.00 pm to 5.30 pm
  • Friday 1st February 2008 - 1.30 pm to 5.30 pm
  • Saturday 2nd February 2008 - 1.30 pm to 4.00 pm

Over the 3 days about 400 local residents found their way up to a small room on the top floor of the LA Fitness building. There were no plans on display, just a few display boards with some rather vague content. The thing of most interest was an aerial photo was marked with the site Tesco had identified for 'regeneration'.

Aerial view of site (marked red) from Tesco Leaflet

The site was revealed to be a large triangle of property extending all the way along East Barnet Road from the Total petrol station to Victoria Road and is centred on the now empty OpTex building. Tesco representatives said that they already owned 40% of the site and were attempting to buy the remaining 60%.

A glossy leaflet available at the exhibition contained a very small aerial photo of the site location.